Walk Across Europe
Notice: Only variables should be passed by reference in /var/www/html/walkacrosseurope.org/public/wae.php on line 65
2008-02-17 - Trip 11
Alicante to Beccles
0 km today.
147.5 km this trip.
1542.3 km from start.
0 metres minimum height.
0 metres maximum height.
0 metres ascent.
0 metres descent.
Track Log: .
Travel: Bus, Air, Car.
In Alicante, we caught the 7am airport bus (route C6). The check-in queues were not too long. The flight was on-time. At Stansted we had to wait too long for the Pink Elephant Parking bus. This was the only delay and irritation on the journey. Waiting in the sun outside the terminal it was almost as warm as Spain. We had beaten the freezing fog which set in the following day.
We get up at our normal time and get the 7.05 airport bus. Everything goes smoothly. I get some biscuits for Mini and wine for Julie.
- Costa Blanca purple cabbage
- Ajuga blue spike
- Mignonette yellow spike
- Red anemone
- Daisies orange, yellow, white
- Dandelion daisies small and medium
- Pink convolvulus
- Pink sage -leafed cistus
- Blue orobanche
- Blue pimpernel
- Clover Psorolea bituminosa
- White rock rose
- Big geraniuniflora pink
- Sedum huge pink
- White Spanish broom
- Bunny flower very small pink
- Bunny flower medium pink
- Coronilla? yellow
- Lotus? yellow
- Thistle soft dianthus type
- Thistle prickly ball type purple
- Anagallis blue
- Squirting cucumber
- Allium white
- Purple iris barbary nut
- Field full of muscari field
There a a silly TV series at present called "Extreme Dreams". Here people on expeditions have histrionics and the script is full of hyperbollicks.
In this spirit, here are a few of our histrionics.
- The insistence by my team on wearing sandals rather than sensible footwear risks putting the whole enterprise in jeopardy.
- snake skin - the land is infested - will we make it through?
- Neil is unwell. We have no medic! Will he survive?
- salt pans and quick sands - we should have made a de-tour - we risk death
- egg conflict - will our team break apart?
- cheese conflict - will our team break apart?
- the incoming tide (Mar Menor) threatened to overwhelm us. Would we all make it?
- Militars twice - once led by Neil along beach and twice led by me on my woo through to the road. Will we be arrested? Has this brought our trip to a sorry close?
- We have no camels, donkeys or bearers nor do we have we a medic.
We have got a map, a phrase book and one ounce of common sense.
Weather Forecast in Valenciano. Is this identical with Catalan? I must type out a few worms to find out. Here is a Valenciano sample to compare with Catalan later on.
Diumenge augmentaran els núvols i sera un dia molt nuvol vesprada es faran generals i localment moderades. El vent bufara de l'est bauxaean lleugrament Dilluns i dimarts continuarem amb cel nuvlos i pluges debils i disperses, el vent bufara de l'est de fluix a moderat i les temperatutas es mantindran sense canvis significatius assolellat.